I love blogging. I love this blog. I love having friends like you to share all my ideas with. However, in the past few months I've been trying to understand the purpose of this blog. Obviously, I spend a lot of time doing it, so it should have an important, defined purpose. My purpose isn't to make money, since I don't even have any paying sponsors. I keep coming back to the fact that I want to find ways to do good things with this blog.
Then, out of the blue the other day I got the sweetest e-mail from Jen at Dangerously Domestic. She asked if I'd be willing to make something to send to an auction to raise money for THIS:
I was really excited and said yes. I also thought that I would throw out an invitation to all of you, too. Let's craft for a cause and a cure. It feels good to contribute to something larger than yourself, so let's do it. Everything I make this week is going to Cure JM. If you are interested in sending something as well just send me an e-mail and I'll give you an address to send your item to. I'm not talking about that raggedy old shirt you never wear. I'm talking about sending something you love...something that stretches you. I sure hope you'll jump on the bandwagon here. One thing I like about blogging is that it allows me to reach out beyond my family room where I sit. Let's reach beyond the little room we sit in and do something good together.
Now today's tutorial is this sweet little cardigan. I'm going to show you how to use old scraps to make a new embellished cardigan. (Glow in the dark legs not included.)
I started with this cardigan from Forever 21. It was $6.50, however they sell out super fast and I couldn't find another one the next time I went. I dug out my extra scraps from this project and that project.
I used the bottom of the dress I had cut off, which meant I didn't have to do much sewing. I made the hem the top of the pocket and then sewed the edges, curving the corners.
Then I laid them where I wanted to start devising the design.
I cute out some of the big flowers from this scrap. I ironed on some heat 'n bond onto the flowers and then trimmed the edges more exactly.
I played around with the design and then eventually peeled off the backing and ironed them where I wanted them. I used heat 'n bond for the pockets as well, and then sewed them down, too. If you didn't want pockets the whole project would be a no-sew.
Here's a better look at the cardi. Some of the flowers wrap around to the back.
I was excited to be able to use the scraps I already had.
Thanks for reading.