Are you looking for a complete guide on the best breast pump for everyday use on the market? There are thousands of these baby products on the market already. And most get confused about which one to choose.
The same thing applies to you if you are looking to get one for regular use. With so many models on the market to choose from, it might be difficult settling on the right one.
Fortunately, you don’t have to go through all that stress. We’ve done all the hard work for you.
In this guide, you’ll learn how to choose the right model. We include the pros, cons, and what others are saying about each of these pumps.
Just sit back, relax, and enjoy this detailed review.
So…What’s the Best Breast Pump for Daily Use?
Medela Pump in Style Advanced Breast Pump with Backpack
This specific breast pump is our recommendation for everyday use!
The Medela Pump in Style is a very powerful pump.
Moms that have used both Medela’s hospital-grade pump, the “Symphony”, and the Pump in Style breast pump have said that they can’t really tell the difference in power and performance.
This is great for working Moms or Moms pumping several times a day because it allows them to complete their pumping faster.
Mom’s that have used more than one pump rave about the speed of expressing milk. The Pump in Style’s exclusive 2-Phase Expression technology allows Moms to express more milk in less time.
It also allows you to switch back and forth between the stimulation and expression phases.
Moms can find comfort in knowing that all parts of the Pump in Style Breast Pump that comes in contact with breastmilk are BPA Free.
Want To See Other Breast Pumps on the List? Read on…
Now, before getting into the reviews and comparison of different models, here is an overview of the guide:
Without further ado, here are the reviews and recommendations:
Reviews of the Best Breast Pump for Everyday Use
1. Medela Freestyle Breast Pump
A very long time ago, mothers were expected to stay at home and take care of their children until they were ready to get married and have children of their own.
Then came the time when women wanted to be men’s equal – and so they were.
This was when mothers were doomed to use the bicycle horn type of breast pump, the only choice at the time.
Some years have passed and mothers are now given better choices over the traditional manual pump.
One of the companies which can boast in this regard is Medela.
Yes, really. Medela has indeed done it once again.
With already several great products that benefit mothers during a very sensitive time in their lives, they have come up with another remarkable one which they call the Medela Freestyle Breast Pump.
This is the first double electric, a hands-free pump which you can use several times a day! All you need to do is position the flanges well on your breast and wait for the milk to be expressed.
Medela sticks to the basics despite the hottest technological advancement they use on their products.
They call this the Two-Phase Expression. This means that the Medela Freestyle Breast Pump starts off with the ‘Stimulation Phase’ which helps with the milk’s let down.
This is followed by the ‘Expression Phase’ which is the time when a stronger suction power is added to release the milk from the nipples into the waiting reservoir.
This is exactly how an infant would do it!
The company wants all moms to be comfortable with the idea of breast pumping and they wouldn’t be if the product is not wholly satisfactory.
Aside from the efficiency of the Medela Freestyle Breast Pump hands-free apparatus, it looks pretty as well.
With the very elegant tote bag, you can keep the kit inside this and bring it anywhere you go.
Other accessories included are four breast milk bottles which can contain 5 oz of fluids with matching lids and caps, a set of tubing, artificial teats, and a carrier with an ice pack.
Brand New Features
Still, Medela finds a way to bring something new to the market – which is not at all bad since all these will only add to the assistance they are already providing to mothers.
Some accessories included are two bra adapters with replacements, support belt and an extension, breast shields complete with spare parts.
The most fascinating part of the set would be the digital display which shows the cycles you may choose (speed and force) as well as the length of time.
You can use this wherever you are with the help of three different power options. You can plug it in, charge it beforehand or use the lithium-ion battery pack.
In terms of price comparison, the Medela Freestyle Breast Pump is way more expensive than other products. This is true even in the company’s own line.
However, it’s alright to splurge if you are assured that you will get the best of everything.
The First Years Double Breast Pump is one of the best selling pumps on Amazon.
It has mixed reviews and ratings which puts it in the middle of the road.
We tend to agree with this rating as there are definitely better single electric pumps out there, such as the Medela Swing Breast Pump.
The First Years Double Breast Pump, however, comes in at almost half the price of the Medela.
So, if the cost is an issue then read on to see if this pump’s for you.
The First Years Double Breast Pump is a single electric pump with 8 different suction levels. This can be adjusted using the + and – buttons on the control unit.
Unlike some of the better pumps on the market, the First Years pump doesn’t have a setting to achieve let down (the natural flow of milk).
Instead, you’ll need to either manually stimulate your breasts before you start pumping or wait for it to kick in using a normal setting.
Is it battery operated?
Yes, it can be operated both via AC power at home or via battery power for when you’re on the run.
The pump uses 4AA batteries and from all reports, it operates just as well on battery power as it does on AC power.
This is definitely a bonus if you’re going to be using the pump away from home, as many pumps on the market today suffer a loss in power when running on batteries.
Is it loud?
No, most mothers that use the First Years Pump find it to be one of the quieter breast pumps available. It’s on par with the Medela, which is just about the quietest electric pump out there.
Is it comfortable?
One common complaint about the first year’s breast pump is that the breast shields provided with it can be a little uncomfortable for larger breasted women.
Unfortunately, the pump doesn’t have replacement shields in different sizes either, so you can’t switch them out if you find they’re not to your liking.
Is it easy to clean?
All the parts of the First Years Breast Pump that require regular cleaning are dishwasher safe and can also be boiled in hot water for sterilization.
This makes cleaning extremely easy compared to some of the pumps that require hand washing for multiple parts.
What accessories does it come with?
The First Years Double Pump comes with a travel bag, bottle with travel lid, 2 Easy Pour Milk Storage Bags and 2 Lanolin Nursing Pads.
What we like about it…
- The First Years Breast Pump is one of the quietest electric breast pumps available which is important if you intend to use it in the office or any public place where noise may be a concern.
- The other thing we like is that there’s no noticeable loss of power when running on batteries. This is a common problem for many pumps but the FY Double Breast Pump does admirably.
What we don’t like…
- The lack of a function to help achieve let down is our main gripe with the First Years Double Breast Pump. It’s a feature that we love in some of the other breast pumps we’ve reviewed and the Pump definitely loses points here.
- Another negative for the unit is that many owners report that the pump loses power after prolonged use.
- This isn’t always the case but it seems to be a complaint that’s much more prevalent with this one than many units out there.
What’s the verdict?
For the price, the First Years Pump is a decent pump, and if you’re not expecting a lot of use out of it then it may do the trick.
If however, you plan on prolonged use then we recommend going for a higher quality pump like the Medela Swing Breast Pump.
Where can I buy it?
The only place we recommend for baby-related products is Amazon.com. They have first-class customer service.
3. Medela, Pump in Style, Advanced Double Electric Breast Pump
Medela is the recognized leader in the breast pump industry.
Most hospitals have endorsed them. This, therefore, makes Medela the most used brand among the 10 largest hospitals in the United States.
Moreover, it’s used in the majority of NICUs throughout the country.
Of all the personal use double electric breast pumps, Moms have also given their stamp of approval to the Medela Pump in Style Breast Pump by making it the number one best selling double electric breast pump.
The Medela Pump in Style Breast Pump is designed for daily usage and was specifically built to cater to Moms that pump several times each day.
Medela has sponsored several studies that have led to the understanding that there are two very distinct phases of how babies breastfeed.
They have incorporated this into their exclusive 2-Phase Expression Technology which allows the Medela Pump in Style to mimic a baby’s natural nursing rhythm.
This is one of the key benefits that has made this pump a hit with Moms.
Is the Medela Pump In Style Right for You?
- The Medela Pump in Style is a very powerful pump. Moms that have used both Medela’s hospital-grade pump, the “Symphony”, and the Pump in Style breast pump have said that they can’t really tell the difference in power and performance. This is great for working Moms or Moms pumping several times a day because it allows them to complete their pumping faster.
- Mom’s that have used more than one pump rave about the speed of expressing milk. The Pump in Style’s exclusive 2-Phase Expression technology allows Moms to express more milk in less time. It also allows you to switch back and forth between the stimulation and expression phases.
- The Medela Pump in Style includes a battery pack which makes it very portable and great for pumping on the go. You will not be limited to pumping in the car and will have anywhere/anytime pumping capability.
- Moms can find comfort in knowing that all parts of the Pump in Style Breast Pump that comes in contact with breastmilk are BPA Free.
- Beast shields come with the Pump. However, they don’t really provide the ideal fit for some moms. Some had to purchase additional breast shields for a better fit. While the breast shields are relatively inexpensive some moms felt it would be better if more sizes were included with the pump.
- The Pump in Style Breast Pump is not hands-free by design. Many Moms have found easy workarounds either by buying a hands-free pumping bra or by modifying an existing bra to resolve this issue.
Breastfeeding: The Ugly Truth
We’ve all seen the TV commercials showing the loving mother with baby gently and sweetly nestled on her breast, surrounded by white silk.
It’s an image we see over again in the media. But, as new moms find out, it can be far from the reality of breastfeeding.
During prenatal classes and in the plethora of breastfeeding pamphlets that are handed out, mom’s are told what a wonderful, natural, bonding experience breastfeeding is.
And for many mothers, breastfeeding eventually is… a lovely bonding experience with baby.
The problem, however, is that in the beginning, breastfeeding your newborn can be stressful. In fact, it can be a painful and traumatic experience for many mothers.
However, don’t let that deter you. Many mothers have done this successfully. You just have to find your own way of doing it successfully.
Breastfeeding is much better than bottle-feeding, for your baby in the long run.
It takes time…
It can often take several weeks or even months for a baby to learn to latch on properly. The first attempt may not work out well.
But continuous attempts help them learn how to latch properly until they’re full.
In the beginning, it can be very difficult to get the baby into the right position and keep them there. The truth is that there are a million and one things that can and will go wrong.
Your milk may take longer than usual to come in… There may not be enough milk to satisfy baby…
You may have problems getting them to latch on… Some baby never takes to the breast at all…
It isn’t smooth at the beginning…but…
The fact is that there is a lot of conflicting advice and beliefs about breastfeeding out there. But it really comes down to each individual situation as to what will work and what won’t.
If you’re having trouble breastfeeding your child then, by all means, seek help from professionals. But, at the end of the day, every baby is different. And every mother is different too. So try a few things out.
Stick with what works and discard what doesn’t. But most of all, be patient and don’t let it stress you out.
Just keep going and before you know it, you’ll both be experts.
Unlike manual breast pumps, electric breast pumps are automatic and give you a hands-free experience.
In order words, they provide a lot of freedom, which is a great feature for busy moms on the go.
In this guide, you can find a lot of different models, all of which allow you to express milk every day, at your own pace.
They are available at different price points, so it may be that your budget will be the deciding factor.
This guide is comprehensive. So, you should be able to get your hands on the best breast pump for everyday use!
Finally, our recommended breast pump for everyday use is the Medela Pump in Style, Advanced Double Breast Pump.
Here are some other interesting models that you might like:
- 【HOSPITAL GRADE PUMP】COPLIB RH-338 is a hospital-grade double electric breast pump. All parts are made from food-grade silicone and PP materials,...
- 【SOFT SILICONE MASSAGE CUSHION】Made of food grade liquid silicone. Soft and warm, can fit closely to the breast to prevent milk leakage. The five...
- 【ADJUSTABLE SUCTION】3 Modes and 9 levels, which can be adjusted according to your preferences, imitate the baby's actual sucking frequency and...
- 【PORTABLE & RECHARGEABLE BREAST PUMP】Built in large capacity durable lithium battery and USB cable, waterproof and dustproof. You can use or...
- 【SUPER QUIET & LED TOUCH SCREEN】Moms will be able to see the modes, suction levels, working time and power clearly on the touchscreen. The...
- Natural Nursing Technology: Our Spectra S1 electric breast pump features technology that allows comfortable suction levels that mimic the experience...
- Perfect for Travel: The Spectra S1 is portable and rechargeable, making it ideal for an on-the-go mom, with the back compartment that fits a Spectra...
- Single or Double Pumping: Can be used as a single electric breast pump or a double electric breast pump and for best results, authentic Spectra Baby...
- Hygienic: Spectra backflow protector creates a complete physical barrier between your milk and the pump motor, ensuring that your milk is protected...
- Made For Moms, By Moms: We`ve committed our lives to providing the best breast pumps, accessories, education, and customer care that we can,...
- NEW DETACHABLE FLANGES: Come with 24mm new detachable flanges,easier to clean and more compatible with many breast feeding bras.
- NEW CUTE BOTTLE: Come with 2 pieces of oval bottles,stand more stable on talbe.Made of food grade PP and SiliconeBPA and phthalate free.
- TINY& PRACTICAL: The machine is small and light,you can even put it into your troubser pocket(OPERATION PANEL TORWARDS OUTSIDE),but it can provide up...
- WIRELSS & FREE: Buillt-in 1200mAh Li-ion battery, you can pump with it in the car,on work or anywhere you’d like. It takes 40mins to be fully...
- QUALITY & AFFORDABLE: Bellababy is dedicated to providing moms quality,safe and affordable breast pumps to help feeding their babies.