June 02, 2011

Upcycled Shorts

I was given a few pairs of shorts that my dad was done with the other day.  On the other hand, Rex only has a couple of pairs of shorts that fit him for the summer.  I decided that we'd make grandpa's shorts Rex's shorts.  Here he is, proud of the fact that grandpa's shorts now fit him.


I used Dana's pants pattern.  I lined it up carefully so that I could keep the existing hems on the bottom.  I just made sure the inseam was the length of a pair of shorts that currently fits him.


To add a little more character I stitched a number 4 on the edge of the shorts.  I have admired THESE pants with the messy number stitching on them, so I tried to mimick them.  I ironed on some fusible interfacing on the inside of the shorts where the number would be stitched (since the shorts were super thin and I planned on doing a lot of stitching).


I doubled up the floss and made a lot of small stitches.  It took a while, but it's work you can do while watching TV.


There's really no trick to it.  It's a messy look and you can just come in and out with the floss wherever it looks right to you.


I have a few more pairs to make him.  It's really nice to be able to reuse the old clothing so I can give him a summer wardrobe for free.  Thank you grandpa!



Thanks for stopping by.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails