Are you looking for the best baby bottles for newborns? Then, there are a lot of things you have to consider. Some of these are very important while others, not so much.
Why you probably have your own criteria for choosing, you can get close to choosing the right one by taking into consideration other facts.
These things can easily be overlooked, especially if you’re a new mom and are buying for the first time. Here are the most important ones:
Consider those slow flow nipples
Aside from choosing bottles that are specifically designed for newborn babies, you should go for those that come with the newborn and slow flow nipples.
Although you can buy these separately, most newborn baby bottles will come with one. This kind of nipple will help your baby feed easily as it allows the baby to control the flow of the milk.
Usually, they have smaller holes than the standard nipples. This makes the flow of the milk so that your baby doesn’t ingest too much, fast.
The bottle size is also important
Another thing you want to look for is the size of the bottle itself. Look for those that are small and compact, most of which are around 4 oz.
These are designed for newborns that don’t eat much yet. Therefore, they are best suited to babies aged 2 to 6 months.
Also when choosing the best newborn baby bottles, you should decide when you want to buy them. Since you’re reading this, you probably already made up your mind to get one now.
Should you buy now or later?
However, if you’re still expecting, you may still be undecided. If so, you can as well buy it now. You don’t have to wait for your baby to arrive before choosing bottles.
Some moms breastfeed for a year or more and in most cases may not need to use the bottle at all before moving to solids.
In fact, the American Academy of Pediatrics also encourages transitioning only when your baby is at least a year old.
If that’s your plan, then you should wait for your baby to arrive. However, if intend to introduce the bottle to your baby earlier than that period, then get the bottle now as it will be easier to transition anytime to the bottles.
Now that you know some of the important factors to consider when choosing the best baby bottles for newborns, here is a rundown on the best ones to choose from in 2022.
Best Baby Bottles for Newborns (2021 Reviews & Ratings)
1. Philips Avent Natural Bottle Newborn Starter Gift Set
The Philips Avent natural newborn bottle is one of the best baby bottles for newborns.
It’s suitable for moms who want to combine breastfeeding and bottle feeding or those looking to make a smooth transition from breastfeeding to bottle-feeding.
The bottle comes with a wide-shaped nipple, which promotes a natural latch, which is important in younger babies. The nipple is ultra-soft, which promotes natural feeding.
This reduces bottle rejection and allows your baby to spend longer with the bottle.
There is also a little chance of nipple collapse as the nipple’s spiral design and in-built comfort petals give it a flexible shape so it bends to your baby’s mouth movements.
The set comes with a range of flow options, which means that it can grow with your baby.
Since you’re buying for a newborn baby, you want something that not only suits your baby but also doesn’t require you spent extra money once your baby outgrows it.
Starting with the slowest flow, your baby should be able to feed conveniently on it.
Your baby is going to find this similar to breastfeeding, thus making bottle feeding a positive experience. And then, you’ll find it easy to use too.
Compared to other bottles, it has fewer parts, which makes it easy to wash and prepare.
2. Dr. Brown’s Natural Flow Standard Baby Bottles
Dr. Brown’s natural flow standard bottle is another great option to buy for young babies. It comes with a 2-piece internal vent system, which allows the milk to flow naturally so your baby can enjoy a vacuum-free feeding.
This technology also helps in preserving the nutrients in the baby formula and milk, which is important for good development.
The system separates the air that comes into the bottle as the baby feeds and passes it to the back of the bottle. This ensures the baby is only ingesting the essential nutrients.
This also prevents air bubbles in milk/formula, which is good for preventing gas, burning and spit up in babies.
Aside from promoting the free flow of milk, the bottle also comes with flexible nipples that don’t collapse while your baby is feeding, thus eliminating any discomfort.
Although the bottle is made from plastic materials, it’s free from all harmful chemicals like PVC, lead, phthalate, BPA, so your baby will always feed safely.
The package also comes with clean brushes, caps, nipples, and a selection of bottles to choose from until you get one that suits your baby.
It should be noted that these are standard bottles, so maybe a bit difficult to clean. This is because the mouth of the bottle is narrow.
So if you’re not using the dishwasher and trying to wash by hand, you’ll need a small/narrow brush to get into the bottle and clean it properly.
Moreover, there are more small parts to wash compared to the Philips newborn baby bottle above.
If you want something that’s extremely easy to wash, go for the Philips natural bottle for a newborn. But if you’re more concerned about reducing reflux and spit up in your baby, this bottle is the better option.
There are thousands of baby bottles on the market, and we’ve reviewed a fair amount of them. Selecting the best one for your breastfed baby might, therefore, require more than one attempt.
In addition, it’s better to have more than one bottle but instead, go for more.
Because, with different brands, you easily get the one that your baby will prefer over the others. Sometimes babies can be picky, having a slew of options like this can make your job easier.
If these weren’t enough, check out some other picks from Amazon also:
- PRESS-TO-CLOSE, TWIST-TO-OPEN (PCTO )- Hassle-free handling with no spillage; one handed closure (Patent Pending). PRECAUTIONARY DESIGN: If the liquid...
- MULTI-FUNCTIONAL FEEDING SYSTEM- when the baby no longer needs the bottle, the bottle can be transformed into a food container, water bottle, storage...
- LIKE A MOTHER'S BREAST / MORE NUTRIENTS, LESS AIR- Air venting bypasses the milk, minimizing air bubbles & oxidation of nutrients. Elliptical-shaped...
- STACKABLE & EASY TO CLEAN- “soft-square” design prevents the bottle from rolling away and allows it to be stackable to optimize storage
- BPA, BPS, PVC, & PHTHALATES FREE- created with NSF certified PPSU that combines advantages of both glass and plastic material; lightweight & odor...
- Comotomo baby bottles are deisgned to most closely mimic breastfeeding to reduce bottle rejection and nipple confusion issues
- Ultra wide-neck design allows easy cleaning by hand without a brush. Nipple and body is made of 100% safe hygienic silicone
- Safe in microwave, boiling water, dishwashers and sterilizers. Tips - If the bottle is leaking,make sure there's not blockage on the vents. You can...
- Maximum temperature for bottle and nipple is 180 degree Celsius and 120 degree Celsius for cap and outer ring
- Dual anti-colic vents prevent unwanted air-intake and reduce colic
- ANGLED SHAPE - Keeping your baby comfortable and reducing fussiness is why this bottle was designed with an angled shape, promoting a semi-upright...
- PREMIUM VENTING - Evenflo Feeding's patented Proflo Venting Technology was developed to ensure milk bubbles stay in the bottle and not in your baby's...
- EASY TO CLEAN - Designed with only 3 pieces, the Vented Plus Angled Baby Bottles can be easily assembled and disassembled for a quick, thorough...
- EASY TO HOLD - The smartly designed ergonomic and angled shape coupled with the soft, comfortable grips make the Evenflo Feeding's Angled Baby Bottles...
- Our most breast-like bottle: Made from soft-touch, skin-like silicone, this squeezable baby bottle feels just like mom and provides baby with the...
- Breast-like: Our soft silicone, breast-like nipple feels closer to skin and flexes like mom for a comfortable feed and supports in the transition from...
- Anti-colic: Sensitive Closer to Nature nipple with anti-colic valve reduces excessive air flow, so little ones ingest more milk and less air,...
- Guaranteed no leaks: Easy to assemble and guaranteed no leaks when feeding your baby. The included lid and travel disc prevent spills or leaks when on...
- Mom recommended: 95% of moms would recommend Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature bottles to others
- Baby bottles with breast-like nipples and essential accessories, ideal for newborn babies and up
- Acceptance Guaranteed*: Breast-like shaped nipple for an easy and natural latch – 97% mom recommended**
- Natural Feel: Super-sensitive bottle nipple flexes like mom, smooth silicone feels closer to skin
- Anti-Colic: Optimum venting anti-colic nipple valve for less air intake and less discomfort for baby
- Easy Transition: Feeding bottle is ideal for breastfed babies
- ✅ INCLUDES: Two 5oz. PopYum baby bottles (150 ml) with #1 slow flow anti-colic nipples and a funnel which makes loading formula a breeze and stops...
- ✅ ONE HAND ONLY: PopYum stores formula and water separately in the bottle. When hunger calls, simply press the buttons (or ‘Pop’), shake a few...
- ✅ GREAT WITH BREAST MILK: Breast milk (and/or water) is completely isolated in the bottom of the bottle. It never touches the leak points of the tip...
- ✅ ONLY 5 PARTS: PopYum has the same number of parts as many regular baby bottles and has up to 60% fewer parts as compared to other formula making...
- ✅ BPA FREE: PopYum is made of only medical grade silicone and premium polypropylene. PopYum is BPA, BPS, latex, lead, nitrosamines, PET, phthalates,...
- PREVENTS NIPPLE COLLAPSE - Evenflo Feeding's Patented Micro Air Vents help prevent nipple collapse, and promote a more comfortable feeding experience...
- EASY TO CLEAN - Designed with only 3 pieces, the Zoo Friends Baby Bottles can be easily assembled and disassembled for a quick, thorough cleaning...
- PUMP DIRECTLY INTO YOUR BABY BOTTLES - Breastfeeding and pumping can be a time consuming task and as a mother you have things to do. Pumping directly...
- BPA FREE - You’re committed to your child’s safety and so is Evenflo Feeding. Their baby bottles are 100% free of BPA, polycarbonates, PVC, and...
- Unique smooth flow bottle nipple design allows baby to control the speed of the flow of milk for colic-free feeding
- SafeTemp Indication: Thermometer icon on bottle changes color when milk is too hot
- Accepted by 98% of babies, based on market research, 2019, tested with 145 bottle users
- Bottle nipple mimics the shape of mom's nursing nipple during breastfeeding, for a smooth transition from breast to bottle and back
- Wide neck bottle is easy to clean and dishwasher safe (Top rack)