Summer is coming to an end, but many of you still have a few days before your kids go back to school. They might be a bit bored and they might be letting you know it again and again. Today I'm going to show you a few different toys you can whip up for them to keep them entertained. The beauty of these ideas is that they are made of things you probably have on hand.
1) Captain Hook. If you have a pirate fan, then get out a paper/plastic cup and a sheet of aluminum foil. Punch a small hole in the bottom of the cup and twist the end of the aluminum foil into it. Form the foil into a hook. Our library did this along with a cut out pirate hat a couple of weeks ago. My boys loved wearing their hooks and watching "Jake and the Neverland Pirates."
2) Marshmallow Building. This idea is from Make and Takes (via Skip to my Lou via Ohdeedoh). We've also done this with mini-marshmallows and toothpicks.
3) Slotted Discs. This idea is from Made by Joel (via Ohdeedoh). Cut out some cardboard circles, add slits, then play and build. You could probably use an old cereal box for this.
4) Get creative with Tape (Ohdeedoh). If you have a car lover, just take a few minutes to map out some masking tape highways. This could keep kids entertained for a long time.
5) Milk Jug Catch. This is one I posted HERE. Just rinse out an empty milk jug. Cut off the bottom and it becomes a ball catcher.
I hope you're enjoying the last bits of summer. If you have any great toys from house items feel free to share them with us in the comment section.
Thanks for reading.