May 07, 2012

The Newly Painted Faux-Armoire

So I did it.  I painted the faux-armoire.  This is what it used to look like.


This is what it now looks like.


Here's how it went down.  We removed the doors.  


I sanded it down with 220 sandpaper, making sure that it didn't shine anymore.


Then I used Glidden's Gripper primer and gave it two coats.



Then I painted it what was supposed to be the final color and guess what - I hated it.  Bummer.  I was thinking a pale grayish-tan would be nice, but it was super pale and almost felt white.  It wasn't that far off from the primer.  I decided it needed more contrast.


The good thing was that I didn't have to go through all the steps again.  I just added a layer of a darker color and called it done.  The paint has a satin finish, which should allow me to wipe to clean when necessary.  I did not do a coat of poly over it nor do I plan to.


The actual painting was done with a Purdy brush for the recessed areas and a foam roller for the rest.  I wish I could have sprayed it, but taping off that whole area would just be too much.  It turned out pretty well though.

Here's the wide view as you enter our home.


And if you're just joining my blog, here are links to the other things you see in the picture:  faux armoire explained, stenciled wall (with a stencil from Royal Design Studio), grass is greener sign, aqua pew, front room reveal.

Thanks for stopping by.  I have a few fun announcements tomorrow.  Stay tuned!

Linking to Tatertots and Jello.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails