Last weekend my husband and I took the plunge and cleaned out our garage. It took about 5 hours, but it was well worth it. I should have taken a before shot, but just imagine that it was filthy and not well organized. I love tackling an unorganized area of our home because it suddenly becomes useful again.
Here are a few things we did and a few things I'd like to do.
1) After moving around our shelving to better locations (i.e. places where the car door wouldn't smack into the shelves ever) I started grouping things. I tried to put the things I used the most on the more accessible shelves.
I am a sucker for nice, orderly bins, but buying them can add up quickly. As I was telling my husband we should go out and buy some bins I realized that I had a few cardboard boxes waiting to fit into the recycling bin. Duh! I decided to use them instead. I cut off the flaps and added some chevron duct tape that I found in the dollar bin at Target.....
.....and we had great new bins for the shelves in no time.
2) There were already hooks on a wall of the garage. I tried to hang the cords and ropes that I didn't want the boys to play with up high, and I put things I wanted them to reach down low.
I purchased a few cheap buckets and filled and labeled them for the boys.
3) We still need a place to coral the bikes. The bikes end up being spread in different places right now, but I'd love to have an assigned place for them. I have had THIS pinned forever and hopefully I'll get some time to build something similar this summer. I would need to make it one-sided to fit against the wall in the garage, though. I don't know if it'd be cheaper to make with PVC pipes or just with scrap wood. We'll see.
4) We swept out the area really well and then used a shop vac to suck up the piles. I find that it's easier to empty the vacuum then carry the dirt everywhere in a dust pan. Plus, the vacuum is great to use in areas that are too hard to sweep in. It's also great on the work bench too.
5) We tried to clean up the work bench area. Here's the problem I often face. I don't like to bring in the entire heavy toolbox when I have a small project so I end up going out to the garage 50 times for each individual thing I need.
We also have this weird space between the table top on the work bench.....
...so I purchased a little organizer for it. Then I stole out all the items from the toolbox that I use frequently. That way I can bring the whole organizer into the house when I have a little project and I won't forget to put everything back either.
So the garage is ready for the summer now (and so am I). I always find that I enjoy spending time in the places I've organized. Now I don't have to crawl over 50 things to find a chair to sit on while the boys ride their bikes. Everything is where it should be.
Do you have any garage organizing tips? Feel free to share in the comment section. You guys always have such great ideas. Thanks for stopping by.